Monday, 24 September 2018

Maths - Introducing workshops

I have been wondering how Ngami and I could best get the much needed improvement in mathematical knowledge from our class. One way I wanted to try was to introduce goal setting based around the curriculum, and then have workshops that students can sign up for.

In order for the students to understand their gaps we gave them all a coversheet of what they should be able to do at Stage 6 of the curriculum. We went through this as a class, and students highlighted what they thought they could do. Workshops are based around these. Students are being encouraged to look at their coverage sheet, and then sign up for the workshop they think they need to. Workshops are being held on Wednesdays to Fridays, with the whole class being taught together on the Tuesday.

So far I have run a workshop on the different mulitiplication as this is an area my students really struggle. I have been impressed with how engaged the students have been and how excited they have have been to sign up to these workshops.

These workshops have been well received and I have seen an improvement in the students basic fact knowledge.






No comments:

Post a Comment