Monday, 6 August 2018

Learning Languages in the Classroom

Over the past few weeks 10 Mohua has been working on their individuals Pepehas. These are similar to a  mihi, but more formal, and give more information for the audience.

Students have really enjoyed working on finding out who they are, and where they are from. This is important to Māori students as it enables them to feel connected to their whakapapa, and knowing who they are.

As a person of Māori desecent I know how important it is to know where you come from. I also feel it is important for all students (Not just Māori) to learn Māori tikangi as it can create a real feeling of togetherness in my class.

One of the first things we did as a class was a collaborative art piece where everyone coloured a piece and then we stuck it together. The saying is "My Strength is not as an Individual, but as a collective." 
"Ehara taku toa i te toa takitahi, he toa takatini." I do refer to this lots during the day, especially  when students are not really following our class values I do remind them of this. 

When we did our Pepeha's I wanted the students to learn them in a fun and interactive way, so I decided to use a visual pepeha for the students to present their pepeha's to the rest of the class. This was a great engagement as I have several students that are very good at art work, so they have produced some amazing stuff. I was even excited that JC was even wanting to produce a visual pepeha too, as he often opts out of any Māori activities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment