Saturday, 26 May 2018

STEM Challanges

This term I decided to branch out and try some different challenges for the students to achieve. I am looking at doing more of these in my class as STEM challenges have been shown to increase students engagement, and knowledge.

The first week we did bridge building. Students selected there own groups and each group was given 2m of string, 1m of cellotape and the same amount of newspapers. It was interesting seeing what each group did. Some tried to bend the rules...








The following week we built a tower to hold a 1.5l bottle the highest. Again I let them choose their groups. It was interesting see the different ideas. Some students really struggled with building the tower and some really excelled.

The winning team, the boys were pretty excited 

The girls attempt

One of the boys group


My students are enjoying these challenges and it is very good hearing all the different oral language as they discuss what and how they are going to do to achieve the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment