Tuesday, 10 April 2018

#Get New Zealand Writing

Earlier this year I signed my class up to a programme run through School Kit, and sponsored by Warehouse Stationary. This programme was called Get New Zealand Writing, and was about connecting your class to another class in New Zealand, so that we could send some post cards and a poster about our class and school to them. In return we received the same from them about their school.

Everything required to complete this writing activity was supplied. Students completed a poster about our class, and postcards about themselves and our class and school.

To introduce the activity to the students I got them to put the postcards together to see what they said.

 



We then looked at what a metaphor is. I was able to use some great you tube clips that had been supplied for us. Once all the students had the idea of what a metaphor was we sat outside the classroom to see what was outside our classroom door. All the students sat an wrote a metaphor around what they were seeing. I was impressed with how engaged the all the students were, and some of them came up with some great metaphors












In these pictures students were listening and looking at what they can see and hear from our classroom. I was surprised at how engaged every student was with this activity.

What was even more awesome and encouraging to see, was how excited the students were when we received our package from the school we did our exchange with. The school we had been partnered with was Cambridge Middle School with another year 8 class. My students were surprised to see the class we exchanged with were a class of 64 students (I have have 19) and where very impressed with their metaphors. The beauty of this exchange is that when students have the opportunity to experience not only what other students their age are up to, but also see other students work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment